Fourth experiment with trazodone: June 3, 2016

I gave Lyra 50 mg of trazodone at 7:15 am, along with her 30 mg of fluoxetine. (We increased the dose from 20 to 30 mg on May 6.)

At 8:00 am she heard some distant garbage trucks, but was content to lie in her crate (door open) rather than in the closet. She was uninterested in treats while hearing the trucks; she ate in between.

At 9:10 am we were outside in the yard; I was gardening, she was in a good mood, chewing sticks and grasses, mucking about. At 9:15 am, she heard a garbage truck (audible to me, too) and tried to push open the shed door (closed at the time); I called her back to me, and she came. At that point, she seemed pretty calm, but made it clear to me that she wanted to go into the house. I opened the door and she ran down the steps to the basement, and hid under a sofa — where she tends to go when the house is too warm. NB that she snaps at Tolkien for getting too close (which indicates stress; she ordinarily tolerates T. climbing all over her). She’s been there ever since (it is now 9:52 am). I made a video from the moment after she tried to push open the shed door.

Afterword: I went to check on her at 10:30 am. No garbage trucks could be heard. She was happy to come upstairs with me and eat. She has since been resting in her crate or on her stool; i.e., not hiding in the closet. I am pretty sure the trucks are done on our street for today. However, at 12:20 pm she woke up from a nap, as if she’d heard something; she did a growl-bark and stood in the front hall, looking a bit groggy and alarmed at the same time. I let her look out the front door and into the back yard (which always seems to calm her, if nothing is truly there), and she came back to the office to settle again. This is over 5 hours post trazodone, so I wonder if it’s the same tail-end anxiety that I’ve noted before at the 5 – 6 hour mark. At 4 pm, though (nearly 9 hours post intake), when she heard yet another GT on or near our street, she seemed a little less distressed. She stayed next to my desk, fully attentive to the sound (her ears were up the whole time) but not shutting down. When I asked if she wanted to play with her red ball, she leapt up and ran to the kitchen; there, however, the noise was louder (it was a stupid move on my part) and she was about to retreat back to the office when H. came home. Lyra was so happy to see her; she ran in and out of the house, wagging her tail and in full greet mode, as if there’d been no truck at all. Once she greeted H., she did go back to the office and lie in the closet for half an hour — her first time in the closet all day (in two days, actually; she uses it much less now). Later that evening – near dusk – we walked to the park and she seemed fine: alert to any bustle (there was a bit more than usual) but not reacting.