- Far and away the two most helpful Facebook groups have been Fearful Dogs and Reactive Dogs. The latter is based on the CARE protocol.
Websites and blogs
- Debbie Jacobs’s Fearful Dogs site and blog: fearfuldogs.com
- CARE for Reactive Dogs: careforreactivedogs.com
- Patricia McConnell and her blog: www.patriciamcconnell.com; her presentation on the science of dog behaviour.
- Eileen Anderson’s eileenanddogs.com
- Dr. Sophia Yin, free videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperBark1
- Mutt about Town: muttabouttown.com/blog/
- Dr. Jen’s Dog Blog: drjensdogblog.com
- Randi Rossman’s Canine Behavior Science site and blog: http://www.caninebehaviorscience.com
- I’ve taken several online courses in dog training from the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy. It’s great value for money at the bronze level (one day I’ll try gold!) and is not solely for dog sports. Many of the courses offer skills useful for any fearful or reactive dog (or “normal” dog, for that matter).
- Sarah Stremming’s The Cognitive Canine: https://thecognitivecanine.com/ (and check out her Cog Dog Radio podcasts)
- I love this blog post on reinforcement history: Spellbound (what works for horses works for dogs!)
Karen Overall states that the field of canine noise sensitivity is under-researched; that we in fact know very little about it: http://www.akcchf.org/educational-resources/podcasts/podcast-transcripts/Dr-Karen-Overall-Noise-Phobia.pdf
1) “Genetic mapping of canine fear and aggression,” in BMC Genomics (8 August 2016)
Results: “We found that i) known IGF1 and HMGA2 loci variants for small body size are associated with separation anxiety, touch-sensitivity, owner directed aggression and dog rivalry; and ii) two loci, between GNAT3 and CD36 on chr18, and near IGSF1 on chrX, are associated with several traits, including touch-sensitivity, non-social fear, and fear and aggression that are directed toward unfamiliar dogs and humans.”
2) “A prospective study of two self-help CD based desensitization and counter-conditioning programmes with the use of Dog Appeasing Pheromone for the treatment of firework fears in dogs (Canis familiaris),” by Emily D. Levine, Daniela Ramos, Daniel S. Mills, Animal Behaviour, Cognition and Welfare Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Lincoln, Riseholme Park, Lincoln LN2 2LG, UK. Available online 8 December 2006
3) An article on some of the new thinking of brain biology and depression/suicide as relates to humans. Toronto Star, April 10, 2016